What Makes a Movie the Best?

Posted by Unknown On Saturday 19 September 2015 0 comments

As we head out of the Summer movie season (a season featuring high energy action and comedy films that you want to watch over and over again) and into the Fall and Holiday movie seasons (featuring award contenders, and a slate of truly serious films), I got to thinking. I haven't rambled in awhile...and was wondering...what makes a movie...the "best"?

We always call the “best” films of the year these dramatic achievements that we will see in the next couple of months. And usually that is the case.

But let’s look at how “re-watchable” they are…shouldn’t we want to watch the “best” films of the year over and over and over again? Or is the term “best” truly subjective?

For years I’ve had people come up with the same basic questions…
What is the best movie you’ve ever seen? Or the variation thereof such as what is your favorite movie?

I get asked the same questions about movies in theaters regularly…. what’s good, or what should I see and the inevitable what do you like?

I’m as guilty as anyone on this end…looking at movies and speaking about what are truly the “best”, I don’t look at what do I want to watch again.

Thus…is the best truly my favorite.

I love films like Caddyshack, Fletch, Stripes and Animal House but are they the best? Not really…will I watch them hundreds of times before I leave the life I was blessed with, ABSOLUTELY.

On the filp side, a film like Schindler’s List was unquestionably powerful and one of the best I had seen the year it came out. BUT, how many times would I watch it over and again? A handful at most would be my best guess.

We like to laugh, we like to enjoy, we like to be entertained.

The films we buy and keep in our libraries tend to be goofy comedies, kids movies, musicals and the occasional documentary. I don’t have a ton of deep dramas that I pull out and go back to. Horror films…sure – I’ll revisit Halloween or Friday the 13th at the appropriate time, but dramas…virtually never.

So how do I define best going into this year’s season with some of the “Best” movies. It will always be subjective. From Paul Thomas Anderson’s storytelling to Joaquin Phoenix’s acting chops,; I’m sure there will be lots more talk about The Master (opening wide Friday).

But there will also be those that will see Ben Affleck’s Argo and remember that he is a truly talented director as well. And will his take on an Iran hostage rescue, that seems like it could be ripped from today’s headlines, be “better” than The Master? It is different, definitely.

Or what about those that would argue The Dark Knight Risespicks up with more from the amazingly talented Christopher Nolan and was a truly amazing film that is no doubt the “best” of the year.

The one thing about writing and talking about movies will always remain a constant. All three of those films that may be in this year’s Best Picture race are the “BEST” to someone. Who’s right? That’s what makes talking about movies so much fun!

Now I think I’ll go back to a comedy I like to watch over and over and over again…maybe Office Space. Argue amongst yourselves on what makes a movie the “best” of its category…. even if you don’t want to watch it time and time again.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.